Sunday 24 April 2011

In what ways does your media product use, develop and challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

I think that my media product mainly sticks to the codes and conventions of magazine making for many reasons, making it look professional.


The title of the magazine-
Here is the mast head of the music magazine. It uses very bold and a unique font to make it stand out from other music magazines. It is placed at the top of the magazine as this is generally where you find a mast head and so that the reader can clearly see it. I found the font on the website 'Dafont' and felt that it fit in with my genre as it looks very edgy and uses black and white to make it stand out more, just like Kerrang magazine. I called it 'Fusion' because it is a term generally associated with music meaning 'The process or result of joining two or more things together to form a single entity'. I thougt that this went well with my genre as it is both rock and indie, so they are kind of being fused together. Also it is a sounds different to other magazines currently on the market, making it stand out.



Mise-en-scene of images-
I think that the mise-en-scene of the image that I used follow the codes and conventions of magazine making. This is because I used different shades of lighting, giving it more of a 'rock'n'roll' feel to it, used different camera angles to make the image look interesting to look at, and also I used many different locations. The locations that I used don't really follow the conventions of magazine making. This is because the photo shoot was set in a wood which is not the usual place where you would hold one, but this makes it different to other music magazines making it fresh and new.

Costumes and Props-
The costumes that I used do follow the codes and conventions of magazine making, and fit in with my genre. The girls wear bold red lipstick and black eye liner to make then look 'rock'n'roll', and similarly this is why they have voluminous colourful hairstyles. Their clothes are very simple, giving them an indie look and to also not take the attention away from their hair and make up. The props that they use are stereotypically linked to my genre so I thought it would be a good idea to use them. Also other music magazines sometimes use musical instruments in  photo shoots to make the shot look more interesting and eye-catching.



People-
The people that I used in my photo shoot are quite unconventional. This is because normally rock bands have about 4 or 5 people in the band where as I only have 2. This may be considered a good thing though as it makes them different to other rock bands around, creating more of an interest about them. Also by using 2 females as the band members it creates a contrast with other bands as say the White Stripes as they are male and female. The look of the 2 girls that I used are slightly conventional as their hair is bold and naturally voluminous, although their appearance may not be as extreme as other rock bands for example Green Day.



Title, font and style-
I think that the fonts that I used aren't very similar to those in music magazine as they generally use the same font style for each headline where as I have 2 different types of font. I think that the font that I did use though is very effective as it is bold and colourful. This font also shows the reader what genre the band is as the font is written in black and yellow (which is clever as its the band name) giving the impression that they play rock music. 

Written Content-
I think that the written content does follow the codes and conventions of magazine making. This is because the article is set up into columns making it look more tidy and structured. Also the interview has a really relaxed tone to it as though these questions are being asked and then answered straight onto the paper. The questions in the interview are very conventional as they ask things that you generally find in a music magazine for example 'When did you start composing music?'.


Music Genre and How and how your Magazine suggests it-
The genre of this music magazine is easy to establish for a number of reasons. First of all on the front cover it lists a lot of the bands names that will be featured in the magazine which indicates to the reader what the genre is, because for example you wouldn't find an article on 30 seconds to mars in a hip hop magazine. Also the dark colours and lighting show that it is more of a rock magazine than indie as the dark colours are normally associated with this. The costume and props that are used tell the genre as people who read a classical music magazine are not likely to wear the same clothes as these people do.



Layout-
The layout of my music magazine is very conventional. The main image on the front cover is very simple using a mid shot image of the main feature in the magazine. Also the mast head is placed at the top, a list of bands is displayed at the bottom as is the bar code. the only thing that I would say is different to other magazines is that there isn't as many stories shown on the front cover. On the double page spread I used a variety of different shots around the page which is conventional, as is having the text all together in collumns.

Contents-
The contents page for Fusion is slightly conventional. This is because it does have stories grouped up into the sections 'Regulars' and 'Features', has an image people in the magazine and has a short message from the editor. Although it doesn't follow the structure shown in most of the other magazines currently on the market, which does make it unique but also may be thought as a negative as other music magazine contents pages already look proffesional.


No comments:

Post a Comment